Kodi Dlna Client and Server Setup for Krypton
What is Dlna ?WHAT IS DLNA? The term DLNA stands for “Digital Living Network Alliance”. It is the industry standard for sharing network data combined with “Universal Plug and Play Audio Visual(UPnP). This option can be used to share your media libraries from one device to another. If you have a PC or Kodi Box for your Tv, you can share its media contents. Other Smart TVs, Game Consoles, Phones, etc. to name a few. It is recommended that you backup Kodi before continuing in case you wish to restore your Kodi settings at a later date. A Kodi UPnP server/media can stream its content to other devices on the same network by using UPnP and DLNA protocols.
HOW TO ENABLE DLNA ON KODI?For this article, I used a clean version of Krypton 17.6. If you are using a Build, this is typically found by selecting System, then System again. Lets begin:
- After opening Kodi, select the Cog Icon found in the top left corner.
- Then Select Service Settings top row far right in Systems as shown in the photo above.
- In the next window, scroll down to UPnP / DLNA
- Move the Cursor over and up to “Share my libraries” and Click.
Finally, click Share my Libraries from the DLNA Settings. When this is enabled, Announce Library Update will also Switch On automatically. ( as shown above) This is the complete procedure to enable DLNA from your Kodi, and now you are ready to stream to your receiving device.
HOW TO USE KODI DLNA STREAM?Once you enable DLNA Kodi service then simply open up the DLNA application on your receiving device. Your Kodi system should be visible. It can navigate through the media library folders. Then click on a movie or music file to launch. You have now completed the Kodi media server setup process. Here's a List of some of the best software that will help you use this option :
- PLAY ON (for Windows) Play On is a DLNA media server and browser for your Windows Pc. It allows online media sources such as Netflix and Hulu and also supports local content. It’s available only on Windows it is the sad part of this software.
- UNIVERSAL MEDIA SERVER (for Windows/Mac/Linux) UMS is a DLNA server that focuses on stability and File compatibility. It is an Open source and entirely free software. But it uses only in JAVA. Features: Web Interface and Satellite Integration.
- PLEX Plex is well known for its Cross- platform compatibility and ease of setup. Its free to share media on your local network. Features: Cloud Streaming, Media Syncing.
- SERVIIO Serviio is a JAVA based DLNA media server, and it allows you to stream your media files on your Home Network. It supports local and Online content. Features: Paid Pro edition.
- EMBY SERVER The Emby server is a new rapidly growing media server, and it supports trans-coding. But it has some bugs within it. Features: Live Tv support, Media Management, and Cloud Sync. All of the above can be found thru the usual Search Engines available online.